Get Involved :
Join the efforts of other local volunteer tutors in sharing the gift of literacy.
Serving as a volunteer tutor is a great way to give back to the community and open up new opportunities for students as they achieve their goals.
Thank you considering this opportunity to invest in the lives of your neighbors.
How do you become a tutor?
Simply contact Literacy West NY, Inc. to talk with us and complete the volunteer tutor application. Once your application has been received, you will be registered to attend a tutor training prior to being placed to work with a student. It is as easy as
What is the commitment?
- Complete the 12 hour comprehensive tutor orientation and training.
- Meet 2 hours a week with your student.
- Complete monthly reports on the progress of the student.
- Flexible scheduling can accommodate your needs and those of the student.
How does Literacy West NY support tutors?
The professional staff at LWNY will provide you with training, ongoing support and encouragement, and the resources you need to tutor with confidence and success.
Whom do I tutor?
Tutors work one on one with a student and may teach reading, writing, math, or English as a second language. Tutors may select which subject areas they are most comfortable teaching.
Where do I tutor?
Tutoring takes place in a mutually convenient public setting such as a library. The learner and tutor work out the best time and place to match their schedules.
What are the benefits of tutoring?
- Make a real difference in the life of another person. It is incredibly fulfilling to help a person gain literacy skills and witness new opportunities opening up for them.
- Interact and build a relationship with the learner. Volunteers often share that they benefit from the tutoring relationship just as much as the learner.
- Learn from your student- you may discover a new culture or benefit from the perspective of different life experiences.
- Develop and enhance your skills in teaching and tutoring.
- Invest in your own community.
- Be a positive role model.
Other Volunteer Opportunities
If you are not comfortable tutoring, there are other ways to support the work of literacy in Allegany and Wyoming County. This might include conducting surveys, office support, marketing and graphic design, and other service opportunities. Contact us for details on upcoming opportunities.
There are many ways to advocate for literacy. Ideas include supporting your local schools, visiting your public libraries, and writing letters to your local, state, and national politicians on important literacy related issues.
Please contact us to discover additional ideas on how you advocate for literacy in your community.
The ProLiteracy advocacy guide is a resource to those wishing to explore advocacy. In addition, the NCL Advocacy Clearinghouse and Toolkit is a one-stop collection of public policy advocacy resources designed to assist you in advocating for adult literacy at the federal level.
Thank you for your tax deductible donation. Your investment in literacy will provide valuable resources for tutor training, curriculum, and programs in Allegany and/or Wyoming County.
Literacy West NY, Inc. depends on strong and consistent support from the community to continue providing literacy services at no cost. Together, we can improve and enhance the lives of our learners, their families, and our community.
There are many ways to donate.
Contributions may be made by check or money order to:
Literacy West NY, Inc.
5455 State Route 19 North
Belmont, NY 14813
Make a secure, credit card donation through NYCharities.org (VeriSign Safe):
Memorial gifts can be made in honor of a loved one. Please contact for more information.
Others Ways to Donate
- Give through United Way. You may designate part or all of your annual United Way pledge to Literacy West NY, Inc.
- Give as part of estate planning. Contact for more information
- Match your Gift. Many companies match charitable gifts made by their employees. Contact your human resource department for eligibility and procedures.
- Attend one of our special events held throughout the year.
Literacy West NY, Inc. is a non-profit, tax exempt charitable organization under
Section 501 (c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Service Code. Donations are tax deductible. A copy of our Form 990 is available by contacting